Thursday, October 19, 2006

Constructivism

(I posted this late last night after a long drive home. This may account for the tone.)

Though not Central Louisiana specific, this post deals with the "progressive" educational theory Constructivism. This theory, commonly taught as empirically applicable and as a solution to societies ills, is best known for its subgenres such as fuzzy math and invented spelling. The use of the words fuzzy and invented should clue you in on how much academic purpose is being served.

The danger of this theory, according to its critics, lies in its emphasis on students learning without the pressure of right or wrong answers. Thus, students fail to learn the binary nature of life as correct answers are filtered through the muddy waters of other students assertions. Logical leaps are encouraged, if not given credence, while ability grouping is discouraged. Self-esteem reigns as the premier authority under this theory.

I see various problems with strategies that discourage ability grouping since it may dissuade some students from actively engaging in their work. Though I do see merit in certain environments where students can help their lower level peers out.

Your thoughts? Queries? Comments?

2 Comments:

Blogger K said...

After your first post, I was intrigued and maybe a little excited. It's obvious by the tone of this post that you're not trying to encourage open discussion. (BTW, that's absolutely fine - most blogs are created to share an individual's personal experience or ideas.) I'd like to share my philosophies regarding education, but I think my reward would be fairly harsh judgement and criticism. I'll keep reading - maybe future posts will prove me wrong.

10/20/2006 11:12:00 AM  
Blogger CenEd said...

I'd prefer that you share your beliefs. I won't mock or judge what you hold dear. In fact, this blog is going to base itself off of Thoreau's notions of conviction and consequence as a driving force in its content.

In other words, your freedom to express yourself will never be restricted. Please, by all means, add to the discourse.

10/20/2006 02:25:00 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home